Promoting Your Crafts
There are a variety of ways to promote your arts and crafts. This article will primarily focus on the Maine Crafts Guild and the promotional opportunities that they offer.
The Maine Crafts Guild is the premier statewide organization for promoting Maine arts and crafts. As a rural vacation location, Maine is one of the primary locations in the country to find good hand made arts and crafts. Maine has a proud history of supporting the arts and crafts both with it’s consumers and it’s artists.
As such we are very proud of our artists and help promote them any way we can.
One of the ways we do that is with the Maine Crafts Guild. There are many ways for genuine artists to promote themselves, Email, SEO, art shows, networking and more. And we want the Guild to be one of those ways.
What does the Guild provide?
- The Maine Crafts Guild runs 5 retail shows in Maine each year.
- The Guild advertises statewide, so our shows and your profile are raised
- Participates in the Co-Op magazine advertising, and offers those savings to our artists at a deeply discounted rate.
- All members get a link on our website, which is a great way to increase your SEO and marketing profile. You can also hire companies like Bay Area SEO Services
- Guild members get first choices at the 5 retail shows and lower booth fees.
- A permanent subscription to our newsletter
- Socialize in our online community forum and create connections that can help your business.
- You can mail your offerings to our mailing list for a specified cost (unavailable to non-members).
- As a guild, you can participate in our membership meetings and have a vote.
- And more…
How to Join
Membership in the Guild is by Jury. All members must be approved by a jury of Guild members. Here is the process:
- Submit the Non-member jury form with images of your art and the $35 (non-refundable) application fee. This known as the image jury and is comprised of photos of your work.
- Object Jury: step two is to submit an actual artifact of your artistry. If you are approved by step 1, you will be instructed to bring some of your artwork to the Scarborough show. This also entails a $35 submission fee and an application form. The Object jury is the most important aspect of your application. Obviously they’ll meet you in person and see an actual piece of your work. You’ll also be invited to set up your own booth, so they can see your presentation skills and business model. Of course you’ll meet us as well.
- Finally, if you pass the Object Jury you’ll be invited to join the Guild. You’ll need to pay your dues each year (2015 is $80). Membership is for life, as long as you pay your dues and continue to observe professional business practices.
So as a Maine craftsman why is it so important to market yourself? Remember you represent one of the most world famous artists communities in the world. We take our place in the craft world very seriously and it is the livelihood of thousands of people in Maine. It is important that you have good web presence and participate in our craft shows. You’ll want to promote your website as well. Having an intelligent SEO footprint will do wonders for your website traffic and helps raise the profile of not just you, but other Maine artists. Of course the Maine Guild appreciates a link back to our website, but it is not necessary.
Make sure you take advantage of the link we offer on the Maine Guild website by preparing good images and some good description of yourself and your pieces.
We are proud of the love, joy and hard work we put into each one of our crafts. The guild has a strong tradition of craftsmanship and a commitment to art that brings joy to our customer and their loved ones.
Here you will find works of the heart, mind, and hand—all from an extraordinary group of craftspeople who are dedicated to their chosen craft. The artisans of the Guild carry on the time-honored traditions of craftsmanship; their commitment to excellence and the skill in their hands creates beautiful work that enriches all our lives.